Tuesday 12 January 2016

Denglisch



Hello everybody!

Today I want to talk about living at Boarding School. I think the best description in one sentence would be "it's like one big family".
First of all, we shared a room of four, that does not leave you with a lot of privacy or tranquillity. But it leaves you with a lot of communication, fun and experiences. At night time we used to annoy our "neighbours" through the paper-thin walls by each saying good night to every other girl, which took us about 10 minutes. But it was a lovely new ritual. I could hear my neighbour's phone vibrating through the thin walls, but I could also hear her sing to the music we had put on. She never ever complained to the high volume we used. Every morning, my other neighbour would pick me up to catch the bus together. Those are the little things that make school bearable. I felt like I had a family around. One that might not know me as well as my real one, but a family that dealt with the same situations. We developed the weirdest traditions. Like ordering cheesy chips, a cheeseburger and chips & gravy to the Boarding House, taking a taxi to get Chinese takeaway or spending three hours walking through every single aisle of the supermarket. We knew what days not to eat at Boarding and how to find our way through the millions of meadows around. Because we lived in the middle of nowhere. Heversham, a teeny tiny village in the countryside of North-western England, right next to the Lake District.





 
Moving to England being only 16 years old, I obviously didn't speak English very well. But living in an international flair you pick up very fast. We actually had more misunderstandings among the German group. Of course we spoke German, but threw in more and more English words, which got very confusing at some points. Easiest example: Chips. In Germany just like in the US chips means a bag of potato crisps, while in England chips equal fries. I really enjoyed those conversations and my stay in the UK and I am so thankful for this experience and speaking English fluently after those two years. As a matter of fact, afterwards I even chose an English taught university. But I will come back to that some other time.
Living abroad also made me become even more of a "tourist". Every six to eight weeks we were on holiday which meant I was flying back and forth a lot. I really should have collected miles :D
I got used to not being at home and got to know other cultures. It increased my desire to explore the world!

Did you make similar experiences?
Next time I want to discover England and the UK in general as a tourist destination. I am really excited, I just love every single part of it!!!

See you soon

Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment