Wednesday 17 February 2016

Dubai



Hello!

So last week I promised you to tell you about my study trip to Dubai. It was organised by our university and we got a special deal with Emirates. We stayed right next to the Mall of the Emirates with its big indoor ski resort "Ski Dubai", where they have real penguins. We went to a mosque, where we had to take off our shoes and as a girl wear a headscarf. A female university student as representative from the cultural centre explained a lot about the Muslim and Arab culture, about the history of the emirates and some very interesting and surprising facts about the hijab and burqa. This leaves no room for any prejudices or false statements about the Muslim and Arab world, about Dubai being old-fashioned and oppressive against women. On the contrary there are compartments reserved for women on the tram and taxis driven by women for women in order to offer more security and comfort, just like those more illuminated parking lots we know in Europe. We also went to have a traditional Arab dinner at the cultural centre and got a tour through the historic city centre. Specially organised for us were lectures by the chamber of foreign trade, the Bank of Sharja, and Emirates itself. We had a guided tour and presentation of the Ingram Micro Warehouse and an info session of the American University in Dubai. So we learned a lot during this trip and got to understand life in Dubai. Of course we also did some fun, touristy things, like visiting the Burj Khalifa and a tour through the desert. In jeeps we had a really adventurous fun ride through the dunes of the desert, saw a falcon show and belly dancing, went camel riding and had an amazing nomad barbecue in the desert. Just five days, but so many great experiences!
 

 This is what the first class in the new Emirates A380 looks like

 On top of the Burj Khalifa from where we could see Palm Jumeirah (the island)

 Camel riding in the desert (where it gets really cold as soon as the sun disappears)



 Watching the falcon show (sunny and warm 1h earlier)

And of course we also had to go on a little shopping spree

Next to the glass window of Ski Dubai in the Mall of the Emirates

If you have any questions or want to share your Dubai / Emirates / Arabian Peninsula experiences, please feel free.

Now, let's talk about Disney!
I am an absolute Disney fan. I love the movies, the soundtracks, the characters and the toys. As I already mentioned in my post about Christmas, every year I listen to the Disney Christmas songs. Combining those two things I love is just perfect. And from last week you know my favourite movie of all time is Mulan. I know both the German and the English version by heart. Let's have a look at my favourite Disney movies:


1.    Mulan
2.    Frozen (And I have to say, although I always prefer movies in their original version, i.e. English most of the times, the German version is so much better! Hape Kerkeling as Olaf has done such a great job, it's actually the only reason why this is so high up my list!)
3.    The Little Mermaid
4.    Beauty and the Beast: Enchanted Christmas
5.    Tarzan


I also love all of their soundtracks. As I told you, for Christmas I got tickets to Disney in concert and it was wonderful! They have a live orchestra and singers. If you are thinking about seeing it, I really recommend it, it is so worth it! This year there is also going to be a Disney on ice which I would just adore to see, but since I have no clue what I'll be doing after summer and where I'll be living, there is absolutely no chance I would buy the tickets right now. But I want to go so badly!!! The Disney soundtracks are great! Especially Phil Collins, who is not only singing the English version, but also German and Spanish and probably more. But it's not just the movies and their soundtracks I adore. I love everything about Disney. I have been to Disneyland Paris twice and once to the Walt Disney World Resort in Orlando, where I stayed at Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort. An amazing experience. I don't have the words to describe how great it was. Epcot is the most amazing theme park in the world. It is so fascinating how they "copy" cities or countries of the world. Morocco, Venice, Norway... I liked Mexico the most. In fact on one particular ride my Mum and I just stayed for three or four times without getting up. The parks, the Disney stores and all their products are amazing. Did you know they also design beautiful wedding dresses? They really ensure that when the day comes you're gonna be a princess and live happily ever after.
Now let me tell you my favourite Disney characters:


1.    Eeyore (I have one small and one really big soft toy Eeyore and one beautiful Winter themed mug)
2.    Olaf (Again, due to Hape Kerkeling's voice. But I mean, he's cute as hell)
3.    Winnie the Pooh
4.    Tinkerbell
5.    Piglet, Tigger, Kanga, Roo, Rabbit and Owl (I just love the whole Winnie the Pooh family)


 
Are you as much in love with Disney as I am? Who do you love the most? Actually, there is one character I love so much more, but he's not from Disney. It's Babar. Another time I will tell you more about Babar and my obsession with elephants. But that's it for now.

Love you

Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment