Friday 3 March 2017

Vegan, Vegetarian and Pescatarian

I decided to give up meat for lent.
Two days ago was Ash Wednesday, the end of Karneval and the beginning of lent. Lent is the 40 day fasting before Easter. And I decided to be Pescatarian for that period of time. What does that mean? Since many people are still confused by the differences between pescatarian, vegetarian and vegan I thought I'd try to make it a bit clearer.

If you are a pescatarian you choose not to eat meat. Fish and seafood on the other hand are okay for you. I decided to give this a go, because I don't eat a lot of meat anyways. Yes, I love bacon and all the German kinds of breakfast meat, but when it comes to cooked lunch or dinner I hardly ever eat meat. Since I moved to England I don't get my typical German breakfast anymore and bacon is the only temptation. I think I'm strong enough to resist :D
But I don't feel ready to completely go vegetarian. I can't imagine giving up fish and seafood too. But depending how I feel at the end of lent I might give it another go.

If you are vegetarian you basically went one step further. You choose not to eat any animals at all. No meat, no fish, no seafood. Other products "provided" by animals (such as dairy, honey, eggs and so on) are okay for you. To put it a bit harsher: Vegetarians put a line between killing animals and using animals. If you are a vegetarian please don't be offended by my words, I am just trying to make it a bit clearer what vegetarians and vegans can or cannot eat.

If you are vegan you don't see that line anymore. You are completely against using animals. You choose not to eat any animals or any animal products. No meat, no dairy, no eggs, no honey.... If you choose to live a vegan lifestyle you also refrain from other animal products such as leather, bee wax or cosmetics tested on animals. Vegans stand up for animals not being used by humans.

So if your child, relative, friend or anybody else you know goes vegan please don't ask them every single time what they do and do not eat. Just take a second and think:
What am I planning on cooking? What is that made from? Where did that come from? Were animals involved in that process? It is that simple.

Chicken, beef, pork, lamb, fish, seafood, etc - animals
Eggs - taken from animals
Dairy (that includes: milk, cheese, butter, cream, yoghurt, most chocolate, etc) - taken from animals
Honey and bee wax - taken from animals
Pasta - check if it contains eggs
Potatoes and rice - natural products as they are, no animals involved
Veggies and fruit - grow without using animals

It's not that hard is it?
As my introduction says, I am not a vegetarian, I do eat meat, apart from right now. But that doesn't mean that I don't have to know where my food comes from. Even if you choose to eat meat, respect the ones that don't.
That being said, spread the love <3

Have you seen my latest YouTube video?
February Gratitude:


If you want to support me in my 1000miles as fundraising for charity and donate money to Mind-The Mental Health Charity:

See you next week
Lots of love
Jen
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment